- 1/2 lb. venison cubes
- 1 pint dry black beans
- 3 qts. water
- 1/4 lb. salt pork
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. salt
- 3 cloves
- 1/8 tsp. mace
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, sliced
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced and seeded
- 1/2 cup sherry
- Soak the beans overnight in 1 quart of the water.
- The next morning, pour the water and beans into a large soup kettle and add 2 quarts water, salt pork, venison, carrots, onions, salt, and spices. Cover and simmer for 3 to 4 hours.
- Remove the meat and put the soup through a sieve, or blend in a blender until smooth. Add meat back to soup mixture. Serve piping hot in a tureen garnished with hard-boiled eggs and lemon slices. Add the sherry just before serving.
The Complete Venison Cookbook by Harold W. Webster, Jr.
Recipe provided by Highbourne Deer Farm