2009 Annual Venison Culinary Competition - 1st Place - Venison sausage & arugula salad in parmesan crisp
- 2 lb. venison shoulder
- 1 lb. pork loin
- 1 lb. fatback
- 1.5 tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. juniper berries
- ¼ tsp. garlic powder
- 1 T fresh sage mince
- 1.5 oz salt
- Combine all ingredients except salt and chill well.
- Grind all ingredients through fine plate of meat grinder.
- Rinse sheep casings. Pipe sausage into casings.
- Poach sausage until internal temperature reaches 165 F.
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 shallot
- 2 oz. white truffle oil
- 4 oz. extra virgin or salad oil
- 2 oz. white wine vinegar
- 2 oz. dried cherries
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Arugula as needed
- 3 oz. Madeira wine
- Pour 2 oz. of white wine vinegar into medium bowl with 1 shallot and let stand together. Reconstitute 2 oz. cherries in 3 oz. Madeira wine.
- Mince 2 garlic cloves and add to shallot and vinegar. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Aggressively whisk in both the white truffle oil and extra virgin or salad oil. Adjust seasoning accordingly.
- Plate arugula on serving plate; top with cherries, vinaigrette, and parmesan crisp.
- 2 cups Parmesan cheese grated
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Spoon mixture onto sheet pan lined with parchment paper.
- Bake in 350 oven for 8-10 minutes.