Code of Ethics for Hunting Preserves
To enhance and promote the profession of raising and harvesting big game species on private owned hunting ranches while maintaining a safe hunting environment by providing high standards of ethical conduct to promote the responsible management of hunting ranches and to communicate the code of these ethics to consumers and other key constituents.
To provide the client with a positive and safe hunting experience while ensuring the welfare of the animal.
- ETHIC #1 – SAFETY – The personal safety of owners, guides working or guests visiting the hunting ranch is of paramount importance. All hunting equipment and ammunition should be kept appropriately and in a safe manner at all times when not in use.
- ETHIC #2 – The facilities provided and the management action undertaken should ensure and maintain the welfare and well being of the animal within the hunting ranch until the animal is harvested.
- ETHIC #3- The hunting ranch operator should only hunt in or offer an environment of fair chase hunting which should be defined as hunting in any area, by any method which provides the hunted animal a reasonable chance and opportunity to elude the hunter.
- ETHIC #4 – The method of hunting employed on hunting ranches should ensure that the animal is harvested in a responsible and efficient manner, and should take ever precaution as is reasonable to ensure that the meat and products of any animal collected is fully utilized.
- ETHIC # 5 – Appropriate fences should be designed, constructed and maintained to safely prevent the ingress and egress of big game animals on the hunting ranch.
- ETHIC #6 – Any animal that escapes from a hunting ranch should be recovered as quickly as possible in accordance with state regulations.
- ETHIC #7 – Hunting ranches should follow all state and federal laws regulating animal movements and harvest.
- ETHIC #8 – Sufficient records should be kept regarding the movement and harvesting of animals.
- ETHIC #9 – Hunting ranches should accurately represent the hunting opportunities offered to the client
- ETHIC #10 – All advertising and promotional material provided by the hunting ranches should convey an image consistent with the aims and objectives of the Association. All promotional videos and photography should responsibly display an efficient harvest and recovery of all animals.
- ETHIC #11 – Hunting ranch operators should take every opportunity to promote a positive image to the general public, and participate in programs to provide harvested animals to people in need.
- ETHIC #12 – Venison harvests or the dispatching of sick animals should not be referred to as hunting.
- ETHIC #13- The outfitter, hunting ranch and hunter should represent, by their actions, the betterment and preservation of hunting and conservation.